1. Who we are
We are Independent 4 Life Limited. To find out how to contact see section 14 below.
Our Data Protection Registration Number is: Z2058735.
2. Your Privacy
In the course of our dealings with you, we will collect and process personal information about you. Your personal information includes any information that allows us to identify you as an individual. i.e. your name, your email address and your telephone number.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will use your personal information in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations that relate to data protection and privacy, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This policy document tells you:
- what data and personal information do we collect;
- how and the purpose of collecting this information;
- how we will use it;
- how long we will keep it;
- who else will see it;
- how you can contact us;
- your rights in relation to the personal information that we hold, including your rights to change, delete and see your information.
3. What data and personal information do we collect?
When you contact or place an order with us, we collect the following types of information and data about you, including:
- your title and name;
- your business name (if applicable);
- your billing and delivery address;
- your email address;
- your best / preferred contact telephone number;
- a password - please keep this safe
If you are eligible and claiming VAT Exemption we will also collect:
- The Claimant's name if different from the Purchaser’s;
- A brief description of the Claimant’s disability or illness;
- Your Charity name and registered Charity number
For the purposes of fulfilment and the delivery of your order, we will contact you by email, telephone, SMS text and post.
4. How and the purpose of collecting this information
The information we collect about you will come from the following methods:
A) You have contacted us via email, post or telephone to request more information
B) Via our web shop www.independent4life.co.uk and you are purchasing products online
Methods of Checkout:
- As a "Guest"
- You can also create an Account after your purchase
- Registering and creating an “Account” before your purchase
- Over the phone - will be classed as a “Guest”
- Via a BACS Proforma Invoice - will be classed as a “Guest”
(i) Checkout as a “Guest”
- You will NOT be able to login or access your account, change or delete your information you share with us or see the status of your order.
(ii) Checkout by creating an “Account” or logging into an existing Account (click here to login):
- You will be able to login, view, edit and delete your information including billing and delivery addresses, download previous Invoices and Refunds, check the status of orders, i.e. delivery dates and view your Wish List and saved Shopping Cart.
- This allows for future access to your information which is secured by a password of your choice. We recommend you enter a non-generic but secure password. You must verify your account by email to complete the Account Creation.
- You can update and edit your account information by logging into your account and update your preferences or request your account is deleted by contacting the Data Team at Independent 4 Life Limited.
C) Payment of your order:
- We collect and forward your Credit/Debit Card details directly to Braintree Payment Services via a secure link. These full details are never stored or on our website.
- We will share information with Braintree Payment Services only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing payments you make via our website by (a) Debit or Credit Cards and (b) PayPal Express and (c) dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments.
When approving and taking payment for your order, Braintree Payment Services securely provide to us data that includes:
(a) Type of payment method used with Credit/Debit Card:
- The type of Credit or Debit Card used
- The last 4 digits of your Credit Card Number
- 3D secure payment approval
- Payee email address
(b) PayPal Express:
- Payer ID
- Payee email address
www.independent4life.co.uk is PCI Compliant and is regularly tested to comply with the rules and regulations in this regard.
The website has an SSL Certificate, secured by SSL.com and all pages are secured with https://
Transaction and data entered on the site are protected by 256-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) a standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a server and a client.
5. Information we collect about how you use our website
When you browse our website, shop with us or where we advertise on 3rd Party websites such as Google Shopping, we may collect:
- Information about any devices (desktop, tablet or mobile phone) you have used (such as IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers);
- cookies and information about your online browsing and purchasing behaviour and history on our website, your location, your product selection, and information about your interaction with any of our promotional online adverts;
- when you "share" product information via SMS, direct link, Whatsapp or email from the Shopping Cart - Share function or by Pinterest and LinkedIn social media channels located on our website.
6. Why do we ask for this information?
When you place an order, we need your contact and payment information to enable us to process your payment via Braintree and PayPal Payment Services, to fulfil and deliver your order and for extended warranty and servicing contracts for eligible products you have purchased.
If you are claiming VAT Exemption for eligible products we are legally bound by the HMRC to obtain a statement from you that you are entitled to claim the deduction of VAT from your purchase.
You can browse our website without providing us with any of your personal information.
7. How do we use your personal information?
We are required by law to state a "legal basis for processing", i.e. to tell you on what grounds we are allowed to use your information. The legal basis for each purpose is that we have your consent for the use of your personal information, or that we need to use your personal information in order to perform a contract with you, or that we use of your personal information as is necessary for our legitimate interests.
This is a Contractual necessity: To communicate with you using the information you have supplied, to provide a quotation or process your order for product(s) and if applicable additional services/support;
This is a Contractual necessity: We will use your personal information in order to meet our obligations under our contract with you (i.e. to deliver a product that you have ordered);
This is a Contractual necessity: So we can notify you about changes to our services and to otherwise communicate with you. For example, we will use your contact details in order to respond to any queries that you submit to us;
This is a Contractual necessity: If we need to contact your about specific product issues or manufacturer notifications that are relevant to you;
This is a Contractual necessity: We have to share with other Data Controllers - your name, delivery address, contact email and phone numbers to enable fulfilment and delivery of your order by a manufacturer and or delivery company;
This is a Legitimate interest: In order to comply with our legal requirements and obligations to third parties;
This is a Legitimate interest: For Customers claiming VAT Exemption, if required by HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenues & Customs) we will disclose the Purchaser and Claimant’s information as required;
This is a Legitimate interest: We do carry out security checks to protect against fraudulent transactions and to prevent and detect criminal activity. For which we can use your personal information to protect against unlawful activities. In some cases, we may also be under a legal obligation to disclose your personal information (for example, to law enforcement agencies);
This is a Legitimate interest: We may have to use your personal information to address any claims you make against us. In some cases, we may also be under a legal obligation to disclose your personal information (for example, in connection with legal proceedings).
8. How long do we keep your personal data?
We will keep some records permanently if we are legally required to do so. We may keep some other records for an extended period of time. For example, it is currently best practice to keep financial records for a minimum period of seven years to support HMRC audits or provide tax information. We may have legal obligations to retain some data in connection with our statutory obligations. In general, we will endeavour to keep data only for as long as we need it. This means that we will delete your data when it is no longer needed.
9. Who do we share your personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties, including in the following circumstances:
We use third parties to carry out certain activities on our behalf that involve the processing of personal information. For example, we engage third party service providers to fulfil orders, deliver packages, send postal mail, SMS text messages and email, maintain and update our databases of customer details, process payments and refunds, provide customer service and handle claims. These third parties have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but they may not use it for other purposes.
Where you have undertaken to purchase extended warranties, for certain eligible products such as shower toilets we will share your personal contact data to enable the contract for this service to be set-up. Thereafter the contract for the supply of this service will be held between you and the service provider.
We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations (including the police and other law enforcement agencies) for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. These external agencies may check the information we give them against public and private databases and may keep a record of such checks to use in future security checks. We may also disclose personal information to the police and other law enforcement authorities in connection with the prevention and detection of crime.
We may pass personal information to our insurers in the event that a claim is made or could be made against us.
We may pass your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (including in connection with a court order).
www.independent4life.co.uk is hosted on a dedicated server, and the provider is compliant with the rules and obligations of GDPR.
10. Links to external sites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
Please note that third party websites and applications are not under our control. When you click through to these websites or access these applications you leave the area controlled by us. We do not accept responsibility or liability for any issues arising in connection with the third party's use of your data (including your personal information).
11. Your rights and your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
When exercising any of the rights listed below, in order to process your request, we may need to verify your identity for your security. In such cases we will need you to respond with proof of your identity before you can exercise these rights.
11.1 The right to access personal data we hold on you
- At any point you can contact us to request the personal data we hold on you as well as why we have that personal data, who has access to the personal data and where we obtained the personal data from. Once we have received your request we will respond within 30 days.
- There are no fees or charges for the first request but additional requests for the same personal data or requests which are manifestly unfounded or excessive may be subject to an administrative fee.
11.2 The right to correct and update the personal data we hold on you
- If the data we hold on you is out of date, incomplete or incorrect, you can inform us, and your data will be updated.
11.3 The right to have your personal data erased
- If you feel that we should no longer be using your personal data or that we are unlawfully using your personal data, you can request that we erase the personal data we hold.
- When we receive your request, we will confirm whether the personal data has been deleted or the reason why it cannot be deleted (for example because we need it for to comply with a legal obligation).
11.4 The right to object to the processing of your personal data or to restrict it to certain purposes only
- You have the right to request that we stop processing your personal data or ask us to restrict processing. Upon receiving the request, we will contact you and let you know if we are able to comply or if we have a legal obligation to continue to process your data.
11.5 The right to data portability
- You have the right to request that we transfer some of your data to another controller. We will comply with your request, where it is feasible to do so, within 30 days of receiving your request.
11.6 The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time for any processing of data to which consent was obtained
- You can withdraw your consent easily by telephone, email, or by post (see Contact Details below)
- You created an account on www.independent4life.co.uk You can request we delete your profile, if we agree to delete your profile it will erase all orders you have placed and will prevent us from contacting you regarding any product you have purchased.
11.7 The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
- You can contact the Information Commissioner's Office on 0303 123 1113
- Via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/
- Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
12. Transfer of Data Abroad
Any personal data transferred to countries or territories outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) will only be placed on systems complying with measures giving equivalent protection of personal rights either through international agreements or contracts approved by the European Union.
13. Further processing
14. Contact details
Independent 4 Life Limited
Email: [email protected]
15. Changes to this notice